Frequently asked questions about "praktik"
Where is Aurora, and how do I get there?
Aurora is located at Brovägen 9 in STOCKSUND north of Stockholm.
- Take the red line of the subway, towards Mörby Centrum. Get off at Danderyds sjukhus.
What are the working hours?
- We start the day punctually at 08:30 with tea or coffee and morning planning meeting.
During this time time we discuss the activities of the day.
- We always take about an hour at lunchtime, usually sometime between 12:00 and 14:00.
- We end the day at 17:00. Overtime is very rare.
What happens during lunchtime?
- Everybody brings their own food, usually warmed in the microwave.
- We sometimes go out for a pizza together purchase something from nearby Lidl.
- It is a requirement that, after all meals, employees and interns clean up after themselves.
Does Aurora pay any salary to the students?
No. The purpose of the training at Aurora is educational. In fact most of the time students are learning new skills and not really 'practicing' anything from previous training.
Do students have to pay for this training?
No. Aurora makes no charges whatsoever.
Does Aurora receive any economic compensation for educating students?
No, Aurora has NEVER
received any form of compensation, financial or otherwise, for the time spent educating students. We do however expect that students write a few lines on facebook or the "ris och ros" web page before the praktik period is completed.
When was Aurora founded?
During 1984, at the same time as personal computers were 'born'.
What is Aurora's core business activity?
When our company was founded in Sweden, we performed data recovery and sold advanced IT-solutions.
Nowadays there are two important activities:
- Data Recovery Services (following a hard disk crash)
- Data Forensics
- Internet, webdesign, E-commerce and such (for internal use)
Which applications do Aurora use?
We use many different programs in our company.
- FireFox - HTML Browser.
- Aurora Total - Database
- Pegasus - Email
- Office - Word Processing & Spreadsheet
- Symantec - Antivirus and Security
For all web production, we use the the following:
- Notepad + + - HTML editing programs.
- FireFox/Aurora HTML Browser.
- Search & Replace - Find and Replace tool.
- Paint Shop Pro - Image Editor.
In addition, we use the following programs to W3C and browser compatibility verification:
- W3C HTML Validator - HTML syntax checking.
- Internet Explorer - Compatibility Check.
We have hand coded ALL our 2200+ web pages (so you really learn HTML and scripting).
We avoid ALL unnecessary use of automated products for Web design.
We follow the W3C
HTML standards very closely.
Who can apply for practical training at Aurora?
- Students from high school, colleges, universities or from other courses are welcome.
- Both boys and girls, men and women. We are VERY pleased to see that both groups contact us.
- Students that are motivated, focused and with a high level of ambition.
- We speak Swedish, English, Ukranian, French and Russian in the company.
What will I work with?
- It varies a lot and no two days are ever the same. You may be working in different teams, or the entire company.
- In the web team You, for example, build websites or a computer!
- If you are interested in technology, however, there is the opportunity to work with computer security, networking and hardware.
- For the student of economics there is a lot to do with the administrative team of the company. You may learn more about the accounting and other office chores. You also get a great and unique insight into how the company works on all levels.
- All trainees participate in decision making, have great influence on the company's operations and therefore what they will do
- No students work with boring or unstimulating tasks.
Am I going to learn anything?
An enormous amount ! The PRAKTIK or training group never exceeds 5 persons, all of who work in the web or commercial team with continual guidance.
We learn in a much faster tempo than at school/university and besides that we work with real customers and real projects.
What are the things you should NOT do?
- Ignore work hours.
- Ignore the simple rules of the company:
- Removing programs or data from the company is absolutly forbidden
- Installing unauthorised programs or plug-ins is absolutly forbidden.
- For security reasons, Internet surfing for private purposes is NOT allowed.
- To bring your own laptop and all forms of removable media is TOTALLY prohibited.
What is the best you can do?
- Do your best, no one can ask for more.
- Care for you colleagues and share your own knowledge.
- Share your ideas and suggestions for any improvments.
- Show initiative and take responsability.
- Be sure to replace used-up products* from our store room.
* copy paper, cleaning products, soap, toilet paper etc.
Is there anything special I should think about?
- Not really, but use your common sense, be consequent and take care of the company's property. Have fun and enjoy your stay at Aurora